Courthouse Community Garden
2020 GARDEN APPLICATION
The plots are located at the Historic Salem Courthouse Community Center at 58 East Broadway, Salem, NY. All plots are assigned on a first-come, first-served basis. Each plot measures 20’x4’. The gardening season opens on May 20, 2020 and closes on October 20, 2020. Saturday, May 16, 2020 is our official Opening Day for the 2020 season and gardeners will come together (safely!) to ready the plots for the season.
The CCC will provide the following:
- Plots of ground
- Markers for plots
- Walkways between plots (wood chips cover pathways)
- Rototilling at beginning of each season
- “Community” gardening tools
- Organic fertilizer applied with rototilling
- A location for composting and disposal of weeds
- Fencing around entire garden
- Advice, consultation, and community
- Water on premises
- Complete an application, and pay the annual plot rental fee, which covers some of the garden operating expenses; additional expenses are paid by the HSPCA. The 2020 Rental Fee is $20 dollars for the first plot and $10 dollars for additional plots rented by the same gardener. Checks should be made out to HSCPA, with a memo line “Community Garden.” Mail the check and application to Historic Salem Courthouse Community Center, PO Box 140, Salem, NY 12865. To request additional information, or to confirm that plots are still available, email Courthouse Board member Christine Michael at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Maintain your garden by weeding frequently so that weed seeds don’t spread to others’ gardens and to keep the gardens looking attractive since they are visible from the road and the Courthouse holds other summer events on its grounds.
- Avoid the use of non-organic fertilizers, pesticides and herbicides.
- Conserve water and remember to turn off the hoses.
- Pick only crops from your own plot and stay out of others’ plots (younger children may need to be reminded of this!).
- Compost only healthy plant matter.
- Please refrain from bringing pets into the garden area.
- Be considerate of your neighboring gardeners.
- Close the gate to the gardens when leaving.
We hope that you enjoy your time in the 20-20 Community Gardens!